If you’ve worked in Australia as a temporary resident, you may have super you can claim. It's easy, and you can do it online.

As a temporary resident, you can reclaim your super once you have left the country.

If you don’t make a claim with your super fund, your money will eventually be transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

There are a few ways you can start the ball rolling but remember, you must make a claim within six months from the date your visa expired:

This applies to all temporary residents, except for those on visa classes 405 and 410.

It doesn’t apply to New Zealand residents, who have retiring rights in Australia.


Visit the Australian Taxation Office


Need more information?

Download the factsheet

Speed up the process

When departing Australia, be sure to have your passport date stamped by Australian Customs as proof of eligibility for your super claim.

To make an application, you will also need:

  • Your personal details
  • Passport number
  • Your super fund’s details and account number
  • Your tax file number
  • Certified ID

If you’ve lost the details of any funds you were with, the ATO can help you find any accounts with your tax file number. Simply create an account with the Australian Government's myGov website to track down any lost super.

Take me to myGov so I can search for lost super

Receiving your payment

Your super will be delivered as a cheque in the mail, so you don't need to have an Australian bank account.

We can pay your super into an Australian bank account if you provide a written request accompanied by a bank statement and three points of identification, once the DASP application has been submitted.

Please keep in mind it can take up to four weeks for payments to be processed. 

Super payments to temporary residents are generally taxed at a rate of 65%.

Advice when you need it

Over the phone or face to face

Related topics