Important information for supported employees

If you’re in supported employment or have a disability, you may receive disability support payments, work limited hours, have a comparatively lower income or contribute a smaller amount to your super. For all these reasons, your super arrangements need to be carefully managed. You may also have (or need) a power of attorney (PoA) or authorised representative to help you make decisions about your finances. Here is some important information for anyone working in supported employment or assisting supported employees.

Is insurance cover appropriate?

Automatic insurance cover through super can be a valuable benefit but if your contributions are reasonably small or irregular, they may not cover your insurance premiums and your account balance could fall. If you think you may be in this situation or you’d like to check, please call us.

If you decide to reduce or cancel your insurance cover, you can complete our Reduce or cancel insurance cover form.

It’s also possible that if you’re receiving disability support payments or working limited hours certain restrictions will apply to your insurance cover. Full terms and conditions are included in the Insurance member booklet supplement for your membership category available on our website and from customer service.

Have you provided your TFN?

It’s not compulsory to provide your tax file number (TFN) to your super fund but if you don’t, we may not be able to accept contributions on your behalf and you might pay extra tax on contributions and withdrawals.

You can provide your TFN by completing our Tax file number collection form or online if you registered for online access to your account.

If you don’t have a TFN, you can apply for one at the Australian Tax Office website

Do you need to appoint a power of attorney or guardian?

You may have appointed a PoA to help you make decisions about your finances, including your super. It’s important to let us know if you’ve formally appointed a PoA. You can do this by completing the Appointed attorney details form. The form outlines what information we need from both you and your PoA.

There is also a form called the Power of attorney declaration that your PoA or authorised representative will need to complete and return to us each time they carry out any transaction on your behalf. 

Would you like to talk to someone or read more information?

If you’d like to talk to someone about supported employment, call our customer service team on 1300 650 873 or refer to our fact sheet on supported employment.