First State Super offers two investment options that allow you to invest your super in companies that demonstrate socially responsible behaviour.
Many people like to know their super is invested according to socially responsible values. This is why we offer our members socially responsible investment (SRI) options that balance community accountability with competitive investment returns. We offer a diversified SRI (pre-mixed) option and an Australian Equities SRI (single sector) option and as a member, you can choose to invest all or part of your super in one or two of our socially responsible investment options.
We engage investment managers that apply both positive and negative screens to the investment selection process in order to find organisations doing business in a sustainable way.
Positive screening means actively identifying companies with sustainable products and services, or with strong environmental, social and governance performance. This includes companies that rate well in the following areas:
- Ethical considerations – upholding fundamental human rights, and articulating and implementing a code of conduct.
- Labour standards – including Occupational Health and Safety, International Labour Organisation standards, working conditions and the exclusion of child labour.
- Social – including promoting indigenous relations and community involvement.
- Environmental – including efficient energy and resource use and product stewardship (for example, where a company considers the lifecycle of the product, from manufacture to the extent to which the product can be recycled).
- Governance – meeting corporate governance guidelines on board structures and remuneration. Additionally, investment managers and funds will also be well regarded if they actively participate in corporate engagement and governance initiatives.
More information on our socially responsible investment options is provided in the below video. All investments carry risk and First State Super does not guarantee the payment of income or performance of the investments referenced in the video.
Sectors we don’t invest in
Our managers exclude companies operating within sectors with recognised high negative social impact, including companies with material exposure to the production or manufacture of:
- nuclear power (including uranium)
- inhumane animal testing
- logging (of old growth forests)
Fossil fuel exclusions
We also exclude companies that source more than 20% of their operational revenue from coal, oil and gas. This reflects growing concern among members about climate change and our holdings in companies linked to fossil fuels, specifically coal and unconventional coal seam gas extraction (fracking).
Want to change your investment option?
You can invest all or part of your account balance and future contributions in either of these options by logging into youror completing the form below.
Super advice at no extra cost
Want to know what the right investment option is for you? Our superannuation advisors can help. They can also talk you through the basics of managing your super and help you get more out of your membership with us.
Simple advice is already included in the cost of your membership – so you don’t have to pay anything upfront.