If you find yourself with a bit of extra cash, putting it into super could be a great option. You’ll benefit from super’s tax-friendly environment and have the flexibility to claim a tax deduction.

Personal contributions, also known as after-tax or non-concessional contributions, are a way of boosting your super with your take-home pay or personal savings.

Whether you’ve just received an inheritance or a pay rise at work, your extra income could work harder for you in the super system, because your investment earnings are treated a bit differently by the tax office.

Of course, superannuation has much tighter rules around when and how you can access your money, and you need to take that into account before making a contribution. 

To put it in perspective, your investment earnings outside of super can be taxed up to 49%, depending on the ownership and type of investment.

Compare this to the 15% maximum tax rate you’ll pay in super investment earnings, and it starts to make sense.

Making a contribution is no different to paying a bill or transferring money – we accept payments by BPAY®, EFT and direct debit, so you can do it in less than a few minutes.

Put more into super now

Login and contribute

Are personal contributions right for you?

Before adding to your super with your own money, consider:        

  • What are your broader financial goals?
  • How much do you realistically need today, and how much can you afford to put away?

If you’re not going to access your super for several decades but you’re looking to buy a house soon, personal contributions may not necessarily be the right option for you.

But bear in mind the earlier in life you start contributing to super, the more it will be worth in years to come. Through the principle of compounding interest, when you start putting money into super is actually more important than how much you deposit.

Consider other ways of boosting your retirement savings, such as optimising your investments with an aggressive long-term strategy, or adding to super through salary sacrifice.

Anyone can make a personal contribution, but once you reach age 65, you’ll need to satisfy a work test to show you are still working 40 hours over a consecutive 30 day period in a financial year to continue making contributions.

How much can I put in?

There is an annual cap on how much you can contribute.

The current non-concessional contribution cap is $100,000 or $300,000 over a three-year period if you are under 65. Transitional arrangements apply if you are already in a three-year period that started before 1 July 2017. Only people with a total superannuation balance of less than $1.6 million will be eligible to make non-concessional contributions. See our budget update for more information. 

Amounts over these caps are known as excess contributions. If you go over the cap, the Australian Taxation Office will give you an opportunity to withdraw the excess amount from your super fund, along with 85% of the investment earnings. Any associated earnings withdrawn will be taxed at your marginal rate of tax, less a 15% rebate for tax already paid in the fund.

We can’t accept personal contributions without first receiving your tax file number so please ensure we have this information. You can provide your TFN by logging into your account, or you can contact us.

Claiming a tax deduction for personal contributions

If you’re under 65 you can claim a deduction for personal contributions, regardless of your work situation. Remember there is a $25,000 annual concessional cap and if you’re aged between 65 and 75 you’ll need to meet the work test before you can make a personal contribution.

To claim a tax deduction for your super contributions, complete a Notice of intent to claim a tax deduction for personal contributions form. You should do this before you lodge your tax return for that year and before the end of the financial year following the year you made the contribution. Once you have acknowledgement from us, we will tax the contribution at 15% as we do with any concessional contribution. You can then claim a tax deduction from the ATO, if eligible.

Tip: If you are intending to transfer or withdraw your benefit, make sure you send us your notice beforehand.

Ways to pay

This is the quickest and easiest way to make a payment.

You have a unique Customer Reference Number (CRN) depending on the type of contribution you want to make. Please note your CRN changed on 15 August 2016. This means you will need to update your banking records with your new details.

You can find your BPAY biller code and CRN by logging into your account.

Just enter the details into your online or phone banking the same way you would with a utility bill.

Remember, your CRN is a unique number that is different to your membership number. It
helps us identify you and makes sure your money goes into your individual account.

Login now

You can pay by internet or phone banking with the following details:

Bank: Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Account name: First State Super 
BSB: 062 000 
Account No: 10226245
To account description: Use your First State Super member number plus the first six letters of your surname.

To ensure we are able to correctly identify your payment, you need to send us a completed contributions by EFT form by post, fax or email: cru@pillar.com.au.

View our post and fax details

Did you know you can easily make monthly personal contributions or spouse contributions by direct debit? See our direct debit request form for more details.

The Acorns app is like a virtual piggybank. Linked to your credit or debit card, the app rounds up the cost of everyday purchases and invests the difference for you. You can then use the money you save to boost your super, by making a personal contribution from the app to your account using BPAY®.

Tell me more about Acorns

® Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518

Consider your contributions caps, work test and TFN requirements and other conditions that apply to personal contributions

"Acorns" and "Invest the Change" are registered trademarks of Acorns Grow, Inc. © 2016 Acorns.

Acorns Grow Australia Fund (Acorns) is a third-party product issued by Instreet Investment Limited (ACN 128 813 016 AFSL 434776). This does not constitute a recommendation to acquire the product. Fees and costs apply. You should ensure you have read and understood the Acorn PDS available at acornsau.com.au/product-disclosure-statement and consider seeking financial advice before making a decision on this product.

Related topics