Protecting your account privacy is important. We need to take specific steps to verify your identity.

Keeping your account secure is a responsibility we don’t take lightly.

That’s why you’ll need to provide certified proof of identity before we can action major changes to your account.

This includes:

  • transferring benefits from other funds into your super account or income stream account
  • applying for a benefit payment or transfer
  • applying to open an income stream account
  • changing your name.

Need more information?

Download the fact sheet

Accepted identity documents

A current state or territory driver's licence, passport (Australian or foreign), or proof of age card containing a photo of you issued under a state or territory are all accepted forms of identification.

We also accept some forms of travel documentation including a photograph of the person and signature.

Any documentation not provided in English must accompanied by a translated copy prepared by an accredited translator.   

If you’re unable to produce one of the certified documents listed above, you have the option to provide two documents: at least one from lists A and B below.

Certified document list A

  • An Australian birth certificate or extract issued by a State or Territory

  • A citizenship certificate issued by the Commonwealth

  • A current Centrelink pension card that entitles you to receive financial benefits

Certified document list B

  • A notice issued by the ATO within the last 12 months that shows your name, current residential address and the provision of financial benefits to the individual eg. your last tax return

  • A notice issued by a local council or utilities provider in the last three months eg. rates notice, electricity or water bill

  • A notice issued by the Commonwealth, State or Territory government within the last 12 months showing your name and current address eg. Centrelink letter

Getting documents certified

While we don’t require original identity documents, all photocopies must be certified by an authorised person.

The authority must sight the original and the copy to ensure they are identical.

Each page must then be formally certified with the following text:

“I certify that this document is a true copy of the original.”, followed by their signature, printed name, qualification (e.g. Justice of the Peace, Australia Post employee, etc.), registration number (if applicable) and date.

Any of the following people can certify your documents:

  • Police officer
  • Australia Post employee in charge of an office providing postal services (charges may apply)
  • Officer or an authorised representative of an Australian Financial Services Licensee (AFSL) with two or more years of continuous service
  • Medical practitioner
  • Legal practitioner
  • Pharmacist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Magistrate
  • Nurse
  • Optometrist
  • Dentist
  • Chiropractor
  • Physiotherapist
  • Psychologist
  • Veterinary surgeon
  • Full-time teacher employed at a school or tertiary institution

If you are outside Australia, you can still have copies of your documents certified by consular staff at an Australian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate. If you are unable to reach an Australian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate, your documents can be certified by a:

  • notary public
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Judge of the court
  • Registrar or deputy registrar of a court.

If none of these certifiers are available in your community, please contact our service centre to explore your other options.