We’ve thought deeply about the need to create a single brand that clearly represents our desire to be a force for good for our members, the community and the world we live in.
Why we’re changing our name
Having one unified brand strengthens our message, impact and purpose for the members and communities we proudly serve.
Currently we’re managing two brands under the First State Super banner – First State Super (our super fund) and StatePlus (our advice business) – and we’ve merged with VicSuper in July this year which means we now have a third brand to support.
First State Super and StatePlus will change their brand to Aware Super in September.
As we look to the future, we’ve thought deeply about the need to create a single brand. This will unify our member base and clearly represents who we are and the members we serve.
Aware Super celebrates and honours the spirit and actions of all our members.
Aware Super members are extraordinary Australians, who we are proud to serve. The new brand demonstrates our ongoing commitment to action and impact – for our members, their communities and the world we live in.
One brand will also eliminate confusion with super funds that have similar names. It’s important to stand out with a recognisable, discrete brand that all current and future members can identify with.
Aware Super is also the name we co-created with many of our members. Together, we’ve chosen a name that will support us to achieve more for you.
Aware reflects our purpose.
We’ve always been aware as a fund. As a name, it echoes the strengths of our past, aligning to our purpose to be a force for good in superannuation, retirement and advice, driving better outcomes for our members, their families and communities.
Aware Super is a new name for who we’ve always been.
We achieve our purpose by:
- Investing responsibly – improving our communities, building a more sustainable economy and supporting employment both locally and globally.
- Providing products and services tailored to meet our members’ needs throughout their life - with low fees* and strong long-term returns^.
- Helping members make better financial decisions and achieve better outcomes by providing accessible and affordable advice, together with free education and learning resources.
Our new name fully expresses this ethos. We’re aware that you shouldn’t have to choose between doing well financially and doing good in the world.
Being aware means
- Making it easy and caring for our members. Members experience easy and accessible service to manage their super through our award-winning app#, by phone or face-to-face via our dedicated service teams in over 68 locations.
- Empowering our members. Members have access to helpful financial advice, education and resources to help them make better financial decisions.
- Supporting our communities. Members’ assets are invested responsibly, generating jobs, improving our communities and supporting a sustainable economy, while also achieving strong long-term returns^ and supporting financial independence in retirement.
- Helping our members succeed. Members benefit from leading superannuation and retirement solutions, tailored to meet their needs throughout their life, paying low fees* and receiving long-term returns^.
One name to save all members money.
We’re confident that our new brand will deliver significant benefits to our members, and having one brand will ultimately be a more cost-effective use of our member funds.
Maximising value for members drives everything we do and we’re very conscious of our responsibility to spend member funds prudently. A single brand amplifies our impact and delivers significant economies of scale to benefit members. One recognisable name is more cost-effective to build and support over time.
We are excited about this next important step for the fund and want to assure you that while our name is changing, everything that our members have known and loved about First State Super will remain the same - especially our unwavering commitment to putting members first and leading our industry for our members in the years to come.
# Awarded Gold at the 2019 Sydney Design Awards for the category Digital - New Service or Application.
*The total annual fee (inclusive of admin and investment fees) for our Accumulation Fund Growth option is 1.10% p.a., the industry average is 1.43% p.a., Chant West Super Fund Fee Survey, March 2020, based on a $50,000 balance in a Growth option.
^The First State Super Growth option as sourced from the SuperRatings Fund Crediting Rate Survey for the SuperRatings SR50 Balanced (60-76) Index delivered a rolling 10 year return to 31 May 2020 of 7.77%. This is compared to the SR50 Balanced (60-76) Index median rolling 10 year return to 31 May 2020 of 7.13%. Returns are calculated net of investment fees, tax and implicit asset-based administration fees. The SR50 is an index of 50 super funds whereby each fund is assessed on criteria such as their size, history of returns and allocation of assets to growth assets between 60 -76 percent of the investment. This disclaimer is related to the First State Super accumulation product. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.